Poll

Do You Resize Your Hull Heads

Yes
No
Never gave it a thought
Only shoot new hulls

Author Topic: Let's Talk Shotgun Hulls ... Resizing the Heads  (Read 2544 times)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Let's Talk Shotgun Hulls ... Resizing the Heads
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
I resize all my hull heads using an old Herter's M720 press because I can drop the lever and it 'hammers' that non-ferrous, brass coated metal in the die.  Reason is because they do expand in the chamber of a gun, just like cartridges.  And if you are a dumpster diver ... who know's what the chamber of that shotgun is.

After many years doing the resizing, decided to measure some AA's (Before & After's) while loading Black today.
BEFORE  AFTER
 .812"      .808 ........ Next to rim
 .808"      .806 ........ Middle of Head
 .806"      .804 ........ Bottom of head

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 04:57:20 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Lars

• Free Grazer
Re: Let's Talk Shotgun Hulls ... Resizing the Heads
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
Always resize the heads, even on AAs and STSs (and Peters 12 gauge plastic target hulls - really STSs). Resizing is really essential on run of the mill Remington, Federal, Fiocchi and Winchester hulls and Cheddite-made hulls, even more so on high brass versions.

Beware of hulls from guns with especially generous chambers and always check the base wads before loading. Maybe even don't load them at all. You don't need a base wad stuck somewhere in the bore!!

With the light loads we use most, the heads of AAs, STS, and 16 gauge Remington black hulls expand very little in our guns. But, because we shoot them in diverse guns, some with tight chambers, resizing is essential. With normal, low-pressure hunting loads, especially in Federal hulls, resizing is even more essential.

Lars

Modoc

• Free Grazer
  • Daddy's Ammo Getter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:14:08 PM »
I think that I do, because of the ammount of pressure needed to set the Mec 600Jr on stage 1.  I know That I do on the MEC grabber, because that was a selling point.  But truth be told, I never thought about it, these loaders were what I have and did it automatically. ;)
Modoc; Editor & Match Director (monthly) for the Shasta Regulators
"Oh Lord, if I die, please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her they cost!"

ARLonghair

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:37:43 AM »
I use a P/W press it sizes every shell. never have sticky extraction.Works as good as feather lights.

Pettifogger

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
I have a Dillon and it has a built in base sizer.

Charlie MacNeil

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »
My Lee Loadall has a sizing ring that you have to put over the hull before you do the decapping that squeezes all the way down to the rim. Then it gets pushed back up the hull on step 2 when the primer is seated.
Western Writers of America

Classic Cowboy
Warthog
SCORRS
SASS #48580
SBSS #1235

Dang, them voices have good ideas sometimes!

Grapeshot

• Free Grazer
  • Artillery, The KING of Battle!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:02:45 PM »
I've got the MEC collet tool.  That device will size down any highbrass hull that's out there.  Just stick the base in the collet and pull the handle down and, presto.....resized head that'll fit in any of my 12 gage shotguns.

Great for setting up hulls for Black Powder loading.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:54:14 AM by Grapeshot »
Can you hear it?  The Roar of Cannon, the screams of the dying, ahh....music to my ears.

WartHog
Chief Warrant Officer 3, US Army (ret)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »
... and Ole Herter's did it right.  The resizer and decapper all in one die.  When ya slap down that cast iron handle ... them rims go right to the mat for the count.  ;D
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Crazy Mingo

• Free Grazer
  • Always drink upstream of the herd
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:29:03 AM »
Howdy I use an old versa-mec to load with, (an being a greenhorn loading shotshells)
 I don't know if I am or not.All I do know is they go boom when the hammer falls.
    Crazy Mingo
Wolverine Ranger, WARTHOG,Darksider
2010 Michigan State Frontier Cartridge Duelist Champion

Texas John Critter

• Free Grazer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
I load with a MEC 9000G and it's part of the process so yes.  Before that, when I was using a MEC 650,  I used a MEC Supersizer like Grapeshot.  I had a couple hulls stick in my 97 when I first started reloading and decided that was never gona happen again.   
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well Hell, introduce us.

Steel Horse Bailey

• Free Grazer
  • NCOWS & SASS BP Warthog
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 08:09:10 PM »
Howdy!

I'm still new to shotgun reloads.  I guess I'm a dinosaur, and I don't have tools.  I do it all by hand.  (It's a "labour of love".)

I only reload the CBC all-brass shells and only with BP.  They barely expanded the first time they were fired, and apparently haven't since - at least I haven't noticed it.  They are resized by the chamber.  I started using them in my old Stoeger, but I've since upgraded to a Tula Hammer double - which uses and shucks the shells just fine, even 'tho all my loads were initially shot in the other gun. 

Will one of those MEC sizers resize an all brass shell?  And will it do the whole shell, or just the base area?  So far, I haven't needed them resized and most are on their 4th or 5th loading, but I'm looking to the future.
Former M1A1 Master Gunner & Cavalry Trooper (4th & 11th Armored Cav)

NCOWS, SASS Life, NRA Life, GAF, ~Warthog~, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM, and a few others

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:43:19 AM »
Master Gunner SHB;  Look at the RCBS website.  In new products, they show a 12 ga dieset for magtech cases.  You need the large press with the removable bushing, like the RCBS Rockchucker.  I'm gonna get one.

My main gun is the baikal s x s, but my Sauer and the Husqvarna have slightly tighter chambers which need something done.

Steel Horse Bailey

• Free Grazer
  • NCOWS & SASS BP Warthog
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
Thanks, Sir Charles!
Former M1A1 Master Gunner & Cavalry Trooper (4th & 11th Armored Cav)

NCOWS, SASS Life, NRA Life, GAF, ~Warthog~, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM, and a few others

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
I did get the RCBS 12 gauge Cowboy Die Set.  It looks like a LEE speed die on giganteroids.  It needs a large press like the Rockchucker with the bushing for the larger size thread required.  It is designed for the brass Magtechs.

It has a decapping stem and a sizing ring that measures .806.  This reduces cases to SAAMI minimum, but isn't enough for a tight chamber like some European guns like my old Husqvarna underlever.  Thes two steps might be combined, but can be done separately. A lot of shooters feel they don't need to re-size brass shells.  As long as they shuck out easily , which they will with modest loads, they don't see the need to mess about.

Use the normal priming arm on the press to re-cap.

Put the stuffings in as you did before.  I'd let the glue dry before crimping.

Remove the de-capping stem & sizing ring, and drop the crimp collar in the top and screw in the retaining cap.  This provides a crimp feature, if you need it.  It is not necessary, but helps get the loaded shells into the shell belt loops, and into the chamber just a bit easier when the time comes.  Only crimp a bit.  Too much ruins brass quicker and doesn't help the functioning of the shell. Again, some shooters think crimping is an ingenious answer to a non-existent question.

One can load brass shells without this die.  It is up to you whether the expense is worth the extra convenience.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:13:37 PM by Sir Charles deMoutonBlack »