Author Topic: Where's the Whale's Back in the Bighorns?  (Read 5659 times)

Backstrap Bill

• Free Grazer
Where's the Whale's Back in the Bighorns?
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »
Okay, I've watched Broken Trail about a dozen times.  I've looked on maps, "Googled" it, talked to some folks, and driven down the east side of the Bighorn Mountains and I can't find it.

So, can someone tell where is the Whale's Back talked about in the book & in the movie?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

Captain Rob Page

• Free Grazer
Re: Where's the Whale's Back in the Bighorns?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »
  I have spent many happy days in the Big Horns, fishing and hiking with my cousins in Sheridan county. Never heard of the Whale's Back. I, like you, was wondering too. Maybe I'll e-mail one of the cousins and see if they ever heard of it.

Willie Wheelgun

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
My DeLorme Atlas and Gazeteer shows about every detail you can find.  The Wyoming edition makes no mention of Whale Back anywhere, parks, lakes, hikes, campgrounds or the "index of placenames".  If they suggested it was in Wyoming, it was a Hollywierd concoction.  I believe if you smoke the right stuff, things like this might come to you. 

JMHO

Willie
Warthog

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »
 Keep in mind you're talking about a movie ??? , and if they had of taken the route they let on to get from Oregon to Sheridan with that herd of horses they'ld still be trying to get there. ;D
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Backstrap Bill

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
When I met the author, he told me that the horse drive was factual.  It was the event that prompted Robert Duvall to ask him to write the screen play.  I didn't have the presence of mind to ask him about the Whale's Back.

The search goes on.  I feel like the Flying Dutchman of the High Plains....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

Spanish Bit Bobb

• Free Grazer
  • ~how's my credit?~
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
yeah...Ima still lookin' fer the yeller brick road! :drool:
I shoot like high school love...
All speed...No control!    

:tequila: There are 3 kinds of drinkers...
before dinner drinkers, after dinner drinkers and who in the he77 wants ta eat!

Yakima Red

• Free Grazer
  • Ballistol & House of Muskets Dealer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
Well Backstrap 'ol pard, the theory 'round here is they used the trail east of Lovell. That is one steep climb!
Yakima Red, United States Marshal. Special Agent to President Hayes. Pinkerton Detective Agency. Veteran, War between the states. Wart Hog

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 06:55:28 AM »
The Whales Back is in south western Alberta. They may have added it into the script as the movie was filmed here.

The Whales Back is about 2 hrs drive SW from Calgary.

Backstrap Bill

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »
Whal, I'll be.

Now I got me a reason to go see Canadee.