Historical and Shooting Societies > Billy Dixon Long-Range Shooting Society

Swedish Rolling Block.

<< < (2/17) > >>

Ranch 13:
Wolfgang, I just got the finishing touches put on a Dane roller, turned it from 8x58r to 40-65.
 In the end it would of been much quicker, simpler and cheaper to of bought one of the Pedersoli roller, such as the Blackhills models from Dixie, listed many times at 750 complete.
 Many times rollers that have already been converted and took care of professionally can be found at decent prices as well.

Lars:
IF you want to shoot one of the Swedish rolling blocks in its current caliber, they are a good deal. IF, instead, you want to convert them to some USA cartridge, such as 40-65, etc., they may not be such a good deal, like any other conversion.

For some of us the 12,7X44R and 8X58RD are such excellent cartridges that we would not even think of converting them. The 8X58RD can be loaded equal to 32-40 BP loads on the low end to somewhere between 32 Winchester Special (both really 8mm cartridges) and 30-06 (depending of lots of variables) on the high end.

Question: Do I recall correctly that California has law restricting ownership of 50 caliber rifles? IF so, do these old 50s fall under that?

Do remember that those 12,7X44R Swedish rolling blocks are from the 1860s. The receiver blocks of the 8X58RD have been reheattreated in the 1890s and fitted with new barrels. Any way you look at it, they all have 140 year old crutial parts, save for some of the commercial Husqvarna-made ones. In this regard the modern, Itallian made ones MAY have better steel, although the Itallian-made CAS guns I have seen had rather "old-style" soft steels. FYI, I don't and won't buy any Itallian-made CAS guns because of low quality. I do buy and shoot quality-made late 1800s and early 1900s guns, such as Remingtons, Husqvarnas, Sauers, Carl Gustafs, Merkels.

Lars

Ranch 13:
Lars you need to bone up on the ballistics charts a bit.
The 8x58 R dane spit a 197 gr bullet at 2700 fps, that's just a tad more than the 32-40 .
 You are right that if you leave the old rollers as is they are a good buy.
 The 250 I paid for this one was fine. Brass for the 8x58 was dang spendy, and the dies cost me 80$, was fun to shoot but not what I wanted the gun for in the end.Plus the fact that almost half of the "cheap" Bertram brass split on the first firing of a load consisting of 10 grs unigue and a 170 gr cast bullet.
 Now the 43 egyptian is a reall hoot, cost 200 bucks, the dies cost more than the rifle. But reformed 50-70 cases and the .446 mold from Rcbs and the wife smacked the 970 yd bear target at Alliance with fair regularity.

Lightening up the trigger springs on those old military guns helps with how they shoot a bunch. Lonestar will sell a new triggerspring for 15 shipping included.
 Greg Cameron out of Sierra Vista Az, does a fine job of rebushing the firing pins. Thats something that many of the old rollers need pretty badly as well.

Lars:
Ranch 13,

In its initial BP form the 8X58RD was/is rather close to the 32-40, albiet with much heavier bullet. Load 32-40 165 grain lead alloy bullets in 8X58RD and use a good BP (like Swiss) and you pretty much have a scandihoovian approximation to the 32-40.

That load you quote for 8X58RD is rather a modern one, loaded commercially for hunters, and really intended for the Danish and Norwegian Krag turnbolts (considered to be much stronger than the comprimised Krag design adopted by USA for 30-40 Krag cartridge). Go ask Danish, Norwegian, Swedish shooters if they would shoot that load much in the old rolling blocks -- lots will not. Without checking old sources, I recall that the original military loading was more like a 240 grain bullet at about 1900 fps, in keeping with the 8X57J and 30-40 Krag, etc. military cartridges.

I have always bought Bell brass, having seen the abundance of split Bertram brass.

Never shot at anything 970 yards away, but, had way more hits than misses at half that distance with friend's military rolling blocks chambered for various 40+ caliber european BP rifle cartridges.

Thanks for the tips about Lonestar triggersprings and Greg Cameron. I will pass it along to various friends with old RBs.

Lars

Lars

Ranch 13:
 Lars I researched the 8x58r pretty good before I bought the thing. Figured it would either A, be a pretty good elk thumper, or B make a half decent Schuetzen rifle, or C a combo of both. As it turns out the chamber on this one wasn't quite up to snuff. So it became the 40-65 it is today.

If a person was so inclined it would be possible to either open the rim recess on the 8 mm barrel to accept 45 cal rifle brass and then trim and form 45-90's or turn the rims down on 45-90 brass.  Also there a reall good chance 762x54 Russian brasss could be fireformed out , but I decided I wasn't so inclined.

;D If I were so inclined to use a "good" black powder for loading of anything (which I do do alot of) you can bet it won't be with the overpriced imported chocalate bath salts (aka Swiss powder) The bp shooting I do is all done with the good powder :usflag:  GOEX. :usabig:  ;D

These imported rollers are a good buy , loads of fun to tinker with, and can turn into some pretty nifty semi custom rifles with enough time and money put into them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version