Author Topic: Tip from Col Sir H St John Halford ... circa 1888!  (Read 7844 times)

John Boy

• Free Grazer
Tip from Col Sir H St John Halford ... circa 1888!
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
the Art of Shooting with The Rifle , pg 48:
Col Sir H St John Halford
Before taking a new Match Rifle on to the range for the first time, if possible, to fire five shots at 12 1/2yds., to see if the zero on the scale is correct.  To do this make some dots, about the size of a threepenny piece, in a straight line across a sheet of paper, and place it twelve and a half yards from the muzzle of the rifle, in front of something that will stop the bullet; not an iron target, for the splash may cut the firer.

With the sight at zero, the bullet should strike below the spot aimed at as much as the centre of the bore is below the center of the foresight; that is (?) ths of an inch, and 1/8 of an inch in addition.  This last is the fall of the bullet for the distance.  As an 1/8 of an inch at 12 1/2 yds equals 1' of angle, it is easy to measure the errors, if any, in the sighting.

For example, if the shots hit 1 1/2in below the centre of the spot aimed, at, the zero of the scale would be correct, because 1 1/8 is the height of the sight above the axis of the bore, and 1/8 is the fall by gravity, making the 1 1/4in.  If however, the the bullet strikes, say 7/8 below the centre of the spot, then as it should strike 1 1/4in below it the zero is favourable, by the difference, which is 3', for the difference between 7/8 and 1 1/4 is 3/8.  This will have to be subtracted from the sighting in the table given for all ranges.  Should the spot fall more than 1 1/4in below the spot the error will have to be added to the scale

What I find interesting is the common practice of zeroing in at 100yds and then using the trajectory calculations derived from sighting in at this range.  I think we is doing it all wrong, verse his recommendation of 1888!

And ... if you don't have a pocket of threepenny coins ... here's a target to use: http://accurateshooter.net/targets/dotcirclesloaddev.pdf
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:01:18 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Ransom Gaer

• Free Grazer
Re: Tip from Col Sir H St John Halford ... circa 1888!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »
Next time I go to the range with my Sharps I may try that and see how it works.  Very intersting.  Of course now all I have to do is find the time to go to the range.  ARRGGHH!!!!!

Ransom Gaer
Ransom Geer, 34th Virginia Infantry
SCORRS
Darksider
Warthog

Jorge Guapo

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to try this. 

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
John Boy, . . very interesting.   Thanks for posting.  Good shootin', . . .  :2guns:
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Harry Eales

• Free Grazer
  • The last of the English gunfighters.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »
Just a line to let you all know, a 'Thruppeny bit' was an English coin which disappeared from circulation in the 1970's.
An unusually shaped coin having many facets on it's edge rather than being round.

It was roughly 1/2" dia, so substitute a round target paper patch in lieu.

One advantage of sighting in at 12.5 yards rather than at 100 yards, is there isn't such a long walk to the target to see where (or if) your hitting it.

Harry

dbm

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
Harry, the brass threepence to which you refer was only introduced in 1937. Prior to that (and in Halfords time) they were silver and circular rather than multi facted. The silver 3d was approx. 16mm dia (0.63")

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.uk
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Harry Eales

• Free Grazer
  • The last of the English gunfighters.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:25:50 AM »
Hello David,

Of course, you are right, I'd forgotten about the old silver thruppeny bit. It must be forty years since I last saw one.

Still, my suggestion of a 1/2" paper patch wasn't so far out, and they're easier to find as well.

Harry