Author Topic: Want to See a Drop Dead Gorgeous Mold?  (Read 4633 times)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Want to See a Drop Dead Gorgeous Mold?
« on: July 03, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »
Pioneer Adjustable Paper Patch Mold
Sharps 550gr (1:20)
Length - 1.50"
Diameter - 446
Takaho Kid, Thanks for the specifications...  it finally came!

Now, gotta cast some up and see how they fly at 600yds! ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:04:56 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Uncle Eph

• Free Grazer
Re: Want to See a Drop Dead Gorgeous Mold?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »
shore is purty,  looking forward to hearing how it works.
never trust anything designed after 1912

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »
looking forward to hearing how it works.
Me too, Eph!  So darn pretty,  I will feel bad using it  :-\   Yep, I'll post up the results
If a prelude means anything, I had 10 of these bullets left over from an eBay purchase:
Two days ago: Br2 primer - 70gr Swiss 1.5 - 0.030 felt wad and a light crimp ... 600yds:
10's - 9's and a 7
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Uncle Eph

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »
that be shootin'
never trust anything designed after 1912

TAKAHO KID

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:05:40 AM »
Looks real fine John Boy,

It will be even prettier AFTER its gotton baptised over the melting pot.

T.K.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »

I am not a happy camper!

I fired up the pot yesterday and cast with the mold ... max weight 497gr and smallest weight with the cup bolt all the way in ... 331gr

What the hell is going on - it's supposed to be a 565gr bullet?

Took measurements:
The diagram to Pioneer was for a 1.5" long bullet - the cast ones measured 1.370 :o
Base diameter to be 446 ... actual 450 :o

Yes, I will be calling Pioneer on Monday because when I faxed the drawing and talked with Fred Leeth ... his response was 'Yes, I can do it!
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

TAKAHO KID

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
That my friend is a whole lot of diffrence!

I would expect a little bit in weight variation but not that much.

John Boy,

Iam begining to think you have a bit of the Charlie Brown syndrome cursing you. :-\

As a child was your ice cream always the first to hit the dirt?

Give them a call by all means - however, try a few of those out just for kicks.

On the lighter side I actually got out shooting the morning. Nothing too percision just a bit of plinking with my Son and making the guys shooting the 9mm autos a bit jumpy (gotta love a case full of Swiss). The new 44 C&B is a honey. However the POA is way low. Need to do some work there.

The humbling part is I have to use a two hand hold just to stay on the paper while my son can stand there single handed and pop the bull all day! Oh to have the steady hands of youth!

Next on the agenda is a couple good session of clays to get tuned-up for grouse season! (Of course Iam using BP!)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:03:16 PM »
TK ... sounds like Life is Good up in the North Country.  Ya know, they say Geritol works great for aging shooters!  ;D
I just got off the phone with Mrs Leeth at Pioneer.  Fred was not in the shop so I'll call him on Monday.  The Mrs said just send the mold back and they will refund my money.  When I speak with him, I'm more interested in having the mold per the CAD drawing.

I've got 75 that are good.  The mold was a toughy to get used too because the base does not have a large rim into the cup.  Had to run the pot at 830* so the melt would form the base correctly.

Was at the range the first of the week with several recipes including 10 of the Republic Metallic PP's I got off eBay.  With a Br2 primer - 70gr Swiss 1.5  - 0.030 felt wad and not GC but with lubed paper... they flew at 1107 fps.  Took 5 over to the 600yd range ... 3-10's, 1-9 and a flyer in the 7 ring.  This is why I want THAT MOLD!

And in closing, ya all contact your Legislators and send a Comment regarding this OSHA 2007-032 Proposed Ruling!

PS:  Naw, when I was a kid I made sure I ate the ice cream cone ... really fast!  ;)
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

TAKAHO KID

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »
John Boy,

I haven't been following this issue too closely but now I am. I didn't realize that the oversight congressional commitee for OSHA included Obama, Clinton and my favorite drunk driver/un-convicted murderer Teddy "I thought it was a carwash" Kennedy.

There is a lot of money to be lost. Its not just the reloading comunity but the hunting sports in general. If your not shooting, your not buying guns, scopes, clothing, traveling, etc. Think about how much just UPS would loose if all those $20.00 hazmat fees on powder, primers etc. went away due to this new mess. Not to mention the actual shipping charges themselves. Think about the lost sales for Cabellas in addition to the powder etc.

Thankfully there are a lot of folks fighting this thing. Remember the investors behind GOEX are big business. They have a substantial investment to lose. From what I understand thier lobbist is on this thing bigtime.

This is just one of the backdoor attempts. Try getting insurance when your in the firearms/ammo/powder industry.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
From what I understand thier lobbist is on this thing bigtime.

TK, I think not ... http://goexpowder.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2775
... is presently investigating the detail of OSHA proposal 1910.109 ... which is not OSHA Docket 2007-0032

And I believe I got a fix for the Pioneer mold issue.  The problem is the adjustable cup bolt.  The bullet cavity of the mold is 1.500 but with the existing cup bolt screwed into the cavity ... 1.37.

So, make another bolt.  One that has 2 cup configurations.  A straight threaded bolt with a cup end could be screwed into the mold and the available bullet will be 1.500.  The other end of the bolt can remain as is for a 1.37 length or less
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

MLR

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »
John Boy

Do you have a hard time getting the base to properly fill out with that mold?
I havnt been able to play with my mold that much, but i was having a difficult time
with the base.

Michael

Lucky Ed Pepper

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 05:03:10 AM »
MLR are you using and bottom pour or ladle pour to fill your mould?

Large rifle bullets fill out every time with a ladle pour and with a bottom pour come out ugly and wrinkly, this is of course with bullets over 400 or 500 grains.

Ed
Best Wishes
Ed Malinowski
"Shade Whisperer" First Class.
SASS 75748

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 06:55:41 AM »
Michael - Using this adjustable mold was a challenge at first due to the design of the base cup bolt.  The bolt is not a 180 degree arc and the distance between the OD and ID of the cup at the base is thin - 0.035.  Notice the design of the bolt for the cup in the attached picture.

Was using a bottom pour and after the melt and the mold were in the 830* range, the bullets filled out completely at the base

When I talk with Mr Leeth on Monday, the topic to resolve both the length (1.500) and the thin edge of the cup will be a redesign of the bolt.  Otherwise, back it goes for a refund

Must still say though ... it is a gorgeous mold
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

MLR

• Free Grazer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
I am using a ladle with the spout drilled out a bit.
John is right about the skirt on these bullets. They are very thin. I am planning on
having a machinist make me an extra base bolt for making a flat base. Maybe even
making one with a thicker base? I dont see that these would be very expensive to make.
My mold fills out fne till it gets to the skirt. When my health problems improve i will
try to make some bullets.

Michael

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »
I just got off the phone with Fred Leeth, Pioneer Products.

In summary from Fred:
*  Send the mold back and I will cut a new one longer so a full 1.5" adjustable bullet can be cast
*  "I screwed up!"
*  I'll cut the cup radius wider also so there will be no solid feathers on the lip and the lip will fill out properly

Fred Leeth is a true GENTLEMAN!

Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR