Author Topic: don't laff gents, I'm working up a Marlin lever 45-70 load...need ideas...  (Read 3282 times)

quiet jake

• Free Grazer
....25 year old Marlin Lever Rifle, going to use for the 100-150-200 yard side matches this summer....

Got a mess of 300 grain RNFP, uncertain lube.....and will be using the  :o heathen  :wife: smokeless :o ....

Taking out first trial run of some Trail Boss loads towards both ends of the lower and upper factory specs....
also have some moderate MP 5744 ....well see how these do...

I ain't planning on dealing with the Holy Black this time around...

hints/tips/suggestions solicited...

thank ya kindly.... :usabig:

Jorge Guapo

• Free Grazer
The best load that I've found for TrailBoss, using a 300gr FP, is 16.5gr with an LOA of 2.50.  With my Browning HighWall I get 1399fps with a SD of 26.

If you want a bit faster try 21.5gr Alliant 2400 - average = 1511fps, sd=24  LOA=2.54

Of course all rifles like things a bit different, but, I've found that using a 405gr bullet really decreases the spread at longer ranges.  My rifle just doesn't like 300gr bullets - 405 and 500's - it loves.

The best load I've found yet, for the 405, is 26.5gr Accurate 5744, LOA=2.54, 1356fps, sd=10.  This powder is really nice.  If has a "kick" somewhere about half way between the "push" of BP and the sharp "crack" of most smokeless powders.  You can shoot this sucker all morning and still have a nice feeling shoulder when you go home.

In general, I've found that with most powders that I've tried in my 45-70 they seem to be most accurate when I use the minimum or starting load (or even a bit less) rather than try to push the bullet faster.

All of the above loads are well within loading manual specs - BUT, please double check me with your own manuals to make sure that I didn't make an error typing.  for TrailBoss: http://data.hodgdon.com/  for Accurate: http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/2003guide.pdf   for Allliant: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm

Have fun, be safe, and let me know what works in your rifle.

Jorge
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:11:41 PM by Jorge Guapo »

Howdy QJ,

First, does your Marlin have normal rifling or Marlin's Micro-Groove (finer lands and grooves)? It is my understanding that the MGroove rifling makes cast bullet loads more difficult. You might need harder cast bullets than normal.

Since you're planning on using up the 300 grainers, you may need to load down to the low end of the scale both for the MG rifling and for the lighter, shorter bullet stability. I think that you may have to accept some real rainbow trajectories to get a load that groups well, but you can hold for them if the load is accurate.

The best part is that after you fire a round, you can run down range and watch the bullet strike the target.

Reverend Chase
(Note: going down range when shooting is in progress is dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals or the rare bulletproof individual)
"A Great Outfit is Remembered
Long After the Lackluster
Shooting Performance
is Forgotten."

WartHog

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Van Morgan

• Free Grazer
At those ranges you aren't likely to see much of a trajectory, especially at 100 yds. That should be at 0. The loads will drop a bit for 150 and 200 depending on the load. I don't load that light of bullet, but you should be able to find decent loads for 5744. I prefer Varget myself, but I use 405 gr LCRNFP. I have a Marlin 1895 45/70 CB. If I use it for side matches I will probably load with Hodgden 4198.
WartHog
SASS 76068
SBSS 2010
39+ #16
OTBG #48

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
 Scrap the trailboss idea, great powder for pistol cartridges, but way to fast to be of much use in large cases.
 I prefer 5744 for cast bullets in the 45-70 . Somewhere around 28-30 grs should give you a decent load.
 3031 has always shined for me with jacketed bullets and not to shabby for cast.
 If your rifle is micro groove, bullet fit to the barrel is going to be really important as well as a good soft lube. To small a bullet lubed up with the junk some commercial outfits call lube is going to be disasterous as far as accuraccy and leading go, if its a microgroove.
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

w44wcf

• Free Grazer
I personally have never had any trouble at all with micro-groove rifling in either the .30-30 or .45-70 as compared to the Ballard type. 

I have found that both types will provide = accuracy providing the bullet fits the barrels properly. I like .001" over throat diameter, providing the throat dia. at least = to the groove diameter.

Wether the bullets were soft or hard, didn't seem to matter.  One area where I found the micro-groove to be superior in the accuracy department, is pushing softer bullets faster, since it has 2X the grip on the bullet (12 vs. 6 grooves).

Most of the early factory .45-70-300 smokeless loadings used "Sharpshooter" powder (many years obsolete).  It's burning rate is similar to 2400, but it was a large disc powder and was easier to ignite. 

Like Ranch 13, I would also suggest 5744 in the charges he recommends. I also like 4759 which bulks up a bit more, at 24-26 grs.

Have fun!
w44wcf 

aka w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .38 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt  Cartridge Historian

Grapeshot

• Free Grazer
  • Artillery, The KING of Battle!
....25 year old Marlin Lever Rifle, going to use for the 100-150-200 yard side matches this summer....

Got a mess of 300 grain RNFP, uncertain lube.....and will be using the  :o heathen  :wife: smokeless :o ....

Taking out first trial run of some Trail Boss loads towards both ends of the lower and upper factory specs....
also have some moderate MP 5744 ....well see how these do...

I ain't planning on dealing with the Holy Black this time around...

hints/tips/suggestions solicited...

thank ya kindly.... :usabig:

Try 13 grains of Unique and a standard Large Rifle Primer.

Nice mild load and accurate out to about 150 yards.

I also shoot that load out of my Marlin w/micro groove rifling.  Doest better with jacketed and gas checked bullets.  Paper patched bullets with IMR 3031 is a real killer on dear.
Can you hear it?  The Roar of Cannon, the screams of the dying, ahh....music to my ears.

WartHog
Chief Warrant Officer 3, US Army (ret)