Author Topic: Black Powder Lubes ... What's Your Favorite?  (Read 38893 times)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Black Powder Lubes ... What's Your Favorite?
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:33:25 PM »
Many recipes used by the BPCR folks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:58:47 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Springfield Slim

• Free Grazer
Re: Black Powder Lubes ... What's Your Favorite?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »
I used to go 50% beeswax and 50% crisco back when I panlubed, but that mix is way too stiff to use in a sizer. Now I use a 7 parts beeswax, 2.5 parts crisco, .5 part lanolin, and just a dab of citronella candle to make it smell nice. Soft enough for my Star sizers but not so soft that it can't he handled. On a really cold day I have to aim my lightbulb heater at the sizer but only then. Really cold meaning anything under 60 degrees. This is California, after all.

Smokin Gator

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »
Springfield Slim.  Does the .5 part lanolin make that much difference as far as making a softer lube.  I have used approximately the 50/50 beeswax/crisco or adding some olive oil.  In the hot summers the 50/50 seems to work.  I would figure that unless that lanolin really changes things the 70% beeswax would be harder.   thanks,  Smokin gator

Carlos El Hombre

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 05:27:56 PM »
I use two different lubes. For bullets I use Lyman Super Moly and for lubing my C&B Remmies I use 60% toilet seal wax mixed with 40% crisco. The 60/40 is soft enough on cold days to poke into the cylinder holes and doesn't run on hot days.
works for me.
Carlos El Hombre

Springfield Slim

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 10:27:30 AM »
Smokin; I doubt the the lanolin makes much difference in hardness. But I have found that if I go with any less beeswax that the bullets are very difficult to handle, with the lube sticking to my fingers and generally making a mess. Maybe the Star sizer works the lube more than a Lyman or RCBS, don't know for sure. The lanolin is stickier than Crisco and so I use it on the theory that it will stick in the lube groove better. There are no magic recipes that I know of and this one works for me in my particular application, so I stick with it.  I'm always experimenting though.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 08:07:53 PM »
Thank Ya Grizz for the World's Longest List of Lube Recipes ;D

Grizz
Location: Loveland Colorado    Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:54 am
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »
More from Grizz ...
Taken from the Shilo Sharps site

2 - parts beeswax 8 oz
1 - part neatsfoot oil 4 oz.
1 - part Murphy's oil soap 4 oz.

Making 16 oz. = 1 pound?

RECIPE
ONE PART =
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 08:12:47 PM »
Dick Dastardly's Lube Tubes ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Goatlips

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 08:39:35 PM »

John Boy,

In answer to yer question,  PRS Lube.  For pan lubin' my Snakebites so's they snap out of the lube cakes.  Recipe's around someplace.

Good selection Grizz!

Goatlips
The aesthetic problem with shootin' Black Powder is that it's like bein' extraordinarily handsome - only the onlookers can fully appreciate it!

SASS #13135  SBSS #1185 Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
 http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

Dick Dastardly

• Free Grazer
  • Big Lube boolit caster
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 03:08:57 PM »
When the day is done, the shootn' over and cleanin' ought to happen, it don't make much nevermind whut yer lube was, unless ya couldn't hit whut ya aimed at. . . . . .

Did yer irons keep runnin'???  How much did yer lube help/hurt???

Now, how easy do yer guns clean up?  Mine clean up with a mere spritz of Moosemilk and a pull of the boresnake.  Yup, that's it.  I'm done.  I'm sittin' on my butt enjoyin' some great company whilst you. . . . . . . . are fightin' yer guns, sayin' "I'll clean 'em at home", puttin' off a chore. . .?

Go back up and take another look at the recipe for Pearl Lube.  It's soft, it's messy, it's not a crayon or wax.  Whut it is is a very soft BP lube that keeps the fouling soft, accuracy second shot accurate, yer guns runnin' like new and makes cleanup a snap.

No, Pearl lube don't like to stay where it's put.  It likes to migrate all over yer ammo, gum up yer dies and mess up yer hands.  It also mixes with BP soot and keeps it from formin' a hard cake.  That means your second shot, and your last shot, all enjoy the same accuracy.  It's worth the extra bother.

Just messy ol me. . . .

DD-DLoS
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar

Smokin_Gun

• Free Grazer
  • Tracker/Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 06:50:41 PM »
I try to keep it simple,
1)Heat a large frypan half full a water, place a shallow pan on top of heated water to melt the lube pancake ingrediance.
2)Mix to climatic hardness or softness using; T/C Natural lube 1000, beeswax(any form of it), parafin wax, a splash of olive oil is optional.
3)Place shallow pan in
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 06:53:01 PM by Smokin_Gun »
"I SMOKE BLACK POWDER"
"Prefer an 1858 Remington Rev and a .54cal '63 Sharps Cav Carbine"

Dakota Widowmaker

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 07:13:55 PM »
Pearl Lube it is...

been using it with WONDERFUL succes on my 44-40 Henry, 56-50 Spencer, and 38-55 Win94.

Cuts Crooked

• Free Grazer
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
Some brief comments:
I noted some recipies with canoloa oil in them up above. I have had BAD luck with that stuff! Ruined a 5 pound batch of lube by using it instead of olive oil...got a granular consistancy to my lube that felt like sand in wax! :o I suspect that one has to watch the temprature VERY closely to keep that stuff from getting too hot, but I have no desire to experiment with it any more >:(

Also noted one post with a comment about "lube purging"  in it. I, and others, have found that this is not always a bad thing. The new Big Lubetm designs are SUPPOSED to let their lube fly in a 360 degree radius upon exiting the bore. When using a soft lube, like DDs Pearl Lube, this happens instantly when the slug exits the muzzle and creates a very stabile trajectory. If yer lube is too hard, with these bullets, some of it will try to cling and cause unbalanced rotation......Not Good! (I don't know about about this phenomenom with other stayles of bullets...never fooled with them much)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 09:08:24 PM »
Cuts, maybe the batch temperature was higher that the smoke point of canola?  Here's a link with many smoke points listed:
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/guides/143
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Dick Dastardly

• Free Grazer
  • Big Lube boolit caster
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 06:27:55 AM »
Snow's gone here, for the time being, but it makes a great bullet stopper if you want to see what condition your fired bullets are in beyond the muzzle.  I've done this for years and find a good snow bank, not a plowed up one, is a great media for stopping bullets without hurting them.

I've found that Big Lube
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar