Author Topic: Who shot Johnny Ringo?  (Read 9003 times)

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
Who shot Johnny Ringo?
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »
I have read many stories about the demise of Johnny Ringo. Most stories have him found dead, from a gun shot wound, at the time that Wyatt Earp was cleaning out the bad guys, who shot his brothers.

Does anyone have any pertinent information about this?

Bill
A fool enters into contention, and his mouth calls for strokes.

Proverbs 18:6

Wylie Harp

• Free Grazer
  • Mediocre Shooter Extraordinaire
Re: Who shot Johnny Ringo?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:56:42 AM »
One of the great mysteries of the Wild West is who killed Johnny Ringo. Many folks believe that he committed suicide even though the coroners report simply says that he died of a gunshot wound to the head.  His demise has also been blamed on: Buckskin Frank Leslie, Johnny Behind the Deuce, and Wyatt Earp.

Let

Lefty Dude

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
I read some where, that Virgil's wife comfirmed that Wyatt & Virgil shot J.R.. Virgil told his wife many years after it happened. She also stated that Virgil & Wyatt were together at the time of the shooting.

Wylie Harp

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
Virgil Earp could not have been there in July of 1882 at the killing of Ringo because he was in California at his parent's house recovering from the terrible wounds he received on the night of December 28, 1881 when assassins open fire on him just outside the Oriental Saloon.  Virgil's left side took most of the pellets, and doctors were forced to remove several inches of shattered bone from his upper left arm.

The members of the Vendetta posse at the Ringo killing were Wyatt and Warren Earp, Doc Holliday, Dan Tipton and Texas Jack Vermillion.

~:Wylie:~

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »
As a hardcore Western Americana, history buff... All I can say is, what a great bunch of interesting replys to the original question...!

If any of you that are replying can reference either books or web lilnks to information in your replys, I would be very grateful.

Keep it coming guys, keep it coming...!

Bill
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:29:01 PM by Stillwater »

Timothy

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
My friend saw the actual movie and he said Val Kilmer did it.! ;D

Wylie Harp

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
As a hardcore Western Americana, history buff... All I can say is, what a great bunch of interesting replys to the original question...!

If any of you that are replying can reference either books or web lilnks to information in your replys, I would be very grateful.

Keep it coming guys, keep it coming...!

Bill

There are a number of sources, which help to put the whole Tombstone saga into perspective.

Although Stuart Lake greatly amplified the facts, his Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal written in 1931, still is a great place to start and should be in every history buffs library.  Certainly George Parsons Diary would be another work to read.  More recent works such as Wyatt Earp
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 08:37:17 AM by Wylie Harp »

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
Thanks Wylie for adding some more education to my limited knowledge of the history of the Old West 
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »
I just read in a book, by Leon Clair Metz, that when Johnny Ringo's body was found, there was evidence that someone had attempted to scalp him...!

I have never heard that mentioned before.

Bill 

Wylie Harp

• Free Grazer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:03 AM »
I just read in a book, by Leon Clair Metz, that when Johnny Ringo's body was found, there was evidence that someone had attempted to scalp him...!

Bill 

The coroner

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »

Bill 

The coroner

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

Bill  

The coroner
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:57:21 PM by Stillwater »

Cary Kid

• Free Grazer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »
Not me............................. ;D 
NRA Endowment, Instructor...........
AF & AM
SASS life
"WTUS #3..:)"
BP Warthog Gunfighter
I cast and shoot......
The Boolits what shoot themselves clean........

maverick3855

• Free Grazer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:55:39 AM »
I wish I could remember where I read it but i remember reading that Ringo had the area that appered to be scalped on his head and that his pistol was pinned to his shirt by the hammer being let down on the fabric which he couldn't have done if he were already dead from a self inflicted head wound and that his gunbelt was also put on upside down with the cartridges falling out.
I honestly don't remember where I read that but it did not name a killer, just the usual suspects but the gun being clipped to his shirt and the gunbelt upside down and scalping were all indicators that it wasn't a suicide and the body was purposely left that way so others would clearly know it was an intentional killing an likely take it as a warning.

Stillwater

• Free Grazer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »
I wish I could remember where I read it but i remember reading that Ringo had the area that appered to be scalped on his head and that his pistol was pinned to his shirt by the hammer being let down on the fabric which he couldn't have done if he were already dead from a self inflicted head wound and that his gunbelt was also put on upside down with the cartridges falling out.
I honestly don't remember where I read that but it did not name a killer, just the usual suspects but the gun being clipped to his shirt and the gunbelt upside down and scalping were all indicators that it wasn't a suicide and the body was purposely left that way so others would clearly know it was an intentional killing an likely take it as a warning.

I have read the same thing myself. It has been so long ago that I can't remember where I read it either.

I would have read that in a book about Wyatt Earp, or on an Internet Web Site, about Wyatt Earp.

Bill