Author Topic: Max eff Range of Henry rifle in .45 Colt?  (Read 3461 times)

Pistolero

• Free Grazer
Max eff Range of Henry rifle in .45 Colt?
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
Hello all,
I was not sure where to post this question, but here goes. I have an Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle in .45 Colt (I know that is not an authentic round for that rifle).  But does anyone know what the "Maximum Effective Range" is for that Rifle or that calibre fired from it? I know when fired from a pistol the .45 is not a big long range round but I figured when fired from a rifle like that Henry with its long barrel it might go a ways. It hits dead on at 100 yards. Would it kill a deer at say 300 yards?  Actually I figure it would kill it but would that round in that rifle be accurate at that range?
Thanks, Just curious.
Pistolero
Alabama

w44wcf

• Free Grazer
Re: Max eff Range of Henry rifle in .45 Colt?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
Pistolero,

Yes, the .45 Colt can be very accurate at 300 yards.
See: http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5026.0
Down the page is a group on a steel swinger (327 yds.) with b.p. from my .45 Colt rifle. ;D

That is a fixed target at a fixed distance. Different situation entirely in the field due to the higher trajectory.

w44wcf
aka w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .38 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt  Cartridge Historian

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »
 Yes the 45 colt can be effective at that range. Back in its heyday it was said to beable to kill horses out from under hostiles at that range.
 When I was younger and steadier of hand and eye, I could within 2 or 3 rounds plug holes in gallon milk jugs at 300 yds with 7.5 inch barreled handgun.
 I have also taken coyote at about 250 with both handgun and the trapper rifle
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
Down the page is a group on a steel swinger (327 yds.) with b.p. from my .45 Colt rifle.
And if you go to page 2 -  (with w44wcf behind the spotting scope) are 500 meter rams that took lead splashes!
How do I know?  Cause I was behind the trigger!  And these were shot using regular 250gr CAS loads
Would it kill a deer at say 300 yards?
If I can hit a 300yd steel plate at out LR matches down here in Jersey 10 for 10 from kneeling bench rest- and your eyes are working ... it will take down a deer at 300 with no problem using a 300gr 454 bullet

Now Pistolero, gotta ask:  Why would anyone want to try to take a deer at 300 yd shot with this rifle?  Too many chances to not place a mortal kill hit and then try to track the wounded animal.  There are just too many variables at that range!  Like the deer taking one step and you whack em in the hind quarters
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:18:10 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Delmonico

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »
Stole this from one of the few gunwriters I even bother to read, but it is very true.

Have someone set up some regular size paper plates for you at distances known to them but not you, the furthest distance you can hit a plate each and every time from a field position is your max for that position.  Works well with smokeless rifles in the newest and greatest whiz-bang round as well. 

Lt. Col. J. Mark Flint

• Free Grazer
  • Never surrender!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »
While a .45 Colt round can deliver a killing blow at 300 yards, the amount of energy remaining is really not at all impressive and is likely only about 350 ft pounds of energy.  It will kill a deer if struck in the vitals, but it will not be nearly as effective as the lowly 30-30
"I'm a strong believer in teaching the value of the three "R's"  Retribution, reckoning and revenge!" J. Mark Flint

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
Howdy .45 (not long) Colt fans,

You are all missing a key point in the discussion. While a 45 Colt could do the job on a deer in many instances, knowing the exact range and trajectory is very important, but that's not the real point.

The point is that deer hunting is great reason for a new (old) gun. A nice old 94 in 30 WCF or 32 WCF would be a good choice and applicable to cowboy long range lever rifle. Of course, a 95 in 30/40 would be cool and .405 would probably be even cooler. And What about all those calibers in the new 76 Win clones. Other than abject poverty, there's really no reason to use a 45 for deer hunting.

Humbly submitted

Reverend Chase
"A Great Outfit is Remembered
Long After the Lackluster
Shooting Performance
is Forgotten."

WartHog

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Delmonico

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
Reverand, I have to disagree with you this time.  Some states who have had a tradtion of making you hunt deer with a danged birdgun have backed off a little and now let you use a rifle as is proper to hunt deer with, but require it to be a "pistol" caliber as in a real pistol, not a short rifle that thinks it's a pistol. ;)

Indiana is one that comes to mind. 

Delmonico from Newbrassky, a state that knows shotguns are for the birds. ;D