Author Topic: .45-70; Wads or not?  (Read 4445 times)

Lars

• Free Grazer
Re: .45-70; Wads or not?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »
??? There's a fellow BPCR longrange shooter that has been firing test loads into a snow bank all winter. Now the snow is retreating and the bullets he's recovered so far aren't showing the wads doing a whole lot to keep blow by from happening.

The load was 68 grs of cartridge dropped from a Lyman 55 measure thru the 24 inch drop tube into remington nickle 45-70 cases , .030 wad, and the RCBS 82084 bullet cast at about 20-1 ,sized .459 and lubed with sagebrush alox. Range was 270 yds on a sort of a miserable day for shooting, overcast , snow on the ground and fishtaling winds 10mph.

One crutial factor in wad performance that I seldom see given in load data is diameter of wad.

From my relatively small amount of test shooting with a big bore BP rifle, I have seen wads be very useful, as well as giving indifferent effect on results (especially on leading). Important parameter seems to have been diameter of 0,060 wads I was using. Too small wads, no surprise, provide little or no additional gas sealing -- and why should they? Wads large enough to fit tightly into cases and to be slightly larger than chamber diameter did greatly reduce leading (reduced powder gas blowby). Total elimination of leading came with combination of pure lead bullet, that could be pressed into unresized case with easy thumb pressure, and one, same diameter 0,060 gasket fiber wad.

Admittedly, rifle used in above described results has oversized chamber and well eroded first 15 cm of bore. Still, with these pure lead bullets and same sized wad, 3-5 shot groups are as good at 100, 200 and 300 meters as I can shoot with any rifle having rather coarse sights intended for use in deep, dark conifer forests when hunting moose where a long shot is 100 meters and most well under that.

Perhaps with newly manufactured rifles of standard chamber and bore dimensions, selection of effective wad is more a matter of choosing a standard diameter wad and then a suitable thickness.

Lars

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58:11 AM »
Diameter of the wad does play a role, but according to what Kurt is finding there's really nothing to be set in stone as yet...
 The selection of rifles and loads he works with is extensive, most rifles are Shilohs , with the exception of a couple of Browning bpcrs.
 The cartridges he's been shooting include 40-70 st, 40-65,45-70,44-90 bottleneck, and 50-90, and maybe another 45 of one sort of half pound to a charge .....
 So far what he's reported has certainly provided plenty of fodder to ruminate on.....
 One thing that has remained constant to this point is, paper patch bullets aren't showing any ill affects of blowby.
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Lars

• Free Grazer
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:16:29 AM »
One thing that has remained constant to this point is, paper patch bullets aren't showing any ill affects of blowby.

Seems to me that a paper patched bullet that is slightly greater than groove-to-groove diameter, for entire bearing lenght, would function like a really thick wad, at least as a gas seal. The very few paper patched bullets, that I have anything like real knowledge about, are several thousands of inch greater in diameter than groove-to-groove bores. They are reputed to be very effective at sealing.

Lars

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »
Never heard of anybody shooting paper patch that large in diameter most shoot bore to .001 over bore (ie 451 in most 45-xxxx), and then use a combination of wads under the bullet and possibly grease cookies.
 Grease cookies do pretty good job of sealing the bore even with thin wads.
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Lars

• Free Grazer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »
The one I know specs for has 0,321-0,323 groove-to-groove bore and 0,329 diameter paper patched, heeled bullet. It is a BP battle revolver.

Lars