Author Topic: Home Made Black Powder Lube  (Read 7784 times)

Home Made Black Powder Lube
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
Could I have a good Black Powder lube recipe Purdy Please?  Mostly Beeswax huh?

I scanned an article on Pan Lubing quite a while back.  Direct me to this source of wisdom.

Shameless Womanizer

Prairie Dawg

• Free Grazer
Re: Home Made Black Powder Lube
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:39 AM »
A whole bunch of them are up in the reference library:
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0

Pan Lube 101 is up there too:
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=301.0

Personally, I use either Gatofeo's lube, Dick Dastardly's Pearl Lube, or home-made bore butter (courtesy of my Muzzle-loading pard, Redhand).
All work great.
--Dawg

Bore Butter, Hawaiian Style

Ingredients for about 5 pounds of Mixture
1 Lb. Natural Bee's Wax
Olive Oil - about 2 to 4 pounds (1 lb = 2 cups of oil)
1 oz. Cinnamon Oil (oil of cassia) food grade
10 each
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:57:34 AM by Prairie Dawg »
Firelands Peacemakers
Scioto Territory Desperados
Tusco Long Riders
Ohio Valley Vigilantes
STORM #114
SCORRS
Tuco: "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
2lbs beeswax,1lb tallow (beef or mutton or wildgame if you shoot a fat deer and feel like rendering) tablespoon of olive oil, and a dash of ballistol.
 Put the whole mess in a double boiler, when it all gets melted down good stir slow till its good and mixed and then let it cool slowly.
 You can also get a bunch of recipes from www.bpcr.net
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Lou Graham

• Territorial Marshal
  • So many shoots, so little time
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
50/50 beeswax and Crisco melted in double boiler.  Very boring.  Prairie Dawg has some fancy stuff going on!

Do go slow, whatever recipe you use. The beexwax takes much longer to melt than the other stuff.  You don't want to burn it or set the house a-fire.  You have to stay there and watch it.  Don't use any of Mamma's pots and pans unless she gives the OK.  Put some newspaper on the countertop to catch the drips when you pour.

I have a stand made of a 2x4 and pvc pipe --6 of them cut to the length of my lubesizer.  the 2x4 has 6 shallow holes cut to fit the pipe in.  I pour into that, stick it in the fridge for a little bit to set, push them out with a dowel, wrap in Saran Wrap, affix my fancy Lou's Lube label and store in mouse-proof container.  It's nice to have it  in lubesizer sticks ready to go when I'm doing bullets.  Beats cutting off hunks from a block and stuffing it into the lubesizer.

Lou Graham, APOMO, LOOG #1

"You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo"

Loyal Order of GOOFBALLS #1
Congress of Rough Riders of CT.
CT. Valley Bushwackers
GAF #311

Dick Dastardly

• Free Grazer
  • Big Lube boolit caster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
I won't give you the recipe, but I'll give you a helpful tip for casting lube slugs for Lyman/RCBS/STAR type lube sizers.

Take a couple feet of 2x4 and drill some One inch holes most of the way thru.  Finish the making the hole thru with a 3/8" bit.  Shove bolts thru the holes and set Twenty Five cent size coin wrappers in the big holes.  The bolts must stand proud of the coin wrappers.

Pour some of your favorite melted lube in the bottom of each 'form' and let cool slightly.  The cold bolts in the center will help.  Then go back and pour each wrapper full of lube.  As they cool, but are still warm, push the bolts out.  Let them cool to room temp and lift out your completed lube slugs.  They are wrapped and ready for storage.  When you need lube, simply unwrap the coin wrapper and put the lube slug in your lube sizer.

This is roughly the way I make up my PL-II slugs.  I put them Six each in LEE Six cavity mold handle boxes.  They survive the mail very well.

DD-DLoS
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar

Prairie Dawg

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
The home-made bore butter is used in cap guns over the ball.
Gateofeo's lube is really good for felt wads.

Pearl lube is what I put on bullets.

Lou--My wife always takes some of the bore butter before I add scent.
She adds her own scent  & uses it during Winter to keep he skin soft & protected.

--Dawg
Firelands Peacemakers
Scioto Territory Desperados
Tusco Long Riders
Ohio Valley Vigilantes
STORM #114
SCORRS
Tuco: "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."