Author Topic: Where did all the primers, powder and brass go?  (Read 4130 times)

Lou Graham

• Territorial Marshal
  • So many shoots, so little time
Where did all the primers, powder and brass go?
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
We don't typically just run down to the local gun shop for dib here and a dab there.  We tend to keep a running list in the reloading room and place one large order.  We get it from a national outfit that has a warehouse here in CT. so we can pick up and not pay hazmat fees.

No .380 brass or the bullets I like for "Baby", either.  (I know Starline has it but it's too fat, even with smokeless, I need more powder.)  Why is Starline the only outfit with brass?  Both common-as-dirt smokeless powders we needed to get are out, too.  No CCI or Winchester primers in small pistol or large or rifle.........  "Out of stock" next to practically everything.  Since I make my own bullets and shoot BP for CAS, maybe I wasn't paying attention when the whole smokeless world collapsed.  Are these guys in trouble and laying people off so now they can't keep up with demand?
Lou Graham, APOMO, LOOG #1

"You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo"

Loyal Order of GOOFBALLS #1
Congress of Rough Riders of CT.
CT. Valley Bushwackers
GAF #311

Pettifogger

• Free Grazer
Re: Where did all the primers, powder and brass go?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
The Obama effect.  Everyone is buying and hoarding.

Jbar4Ranch

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
It's not entirely a panic buyer problem, there's a bad supply problem and it's been going on for six months or more. I'm killing time til retirement working at Sportsman's Warehouse and over the past several months, we seldom have received even twenty pounds of powder on our weekly truck. Last week's had two pounds of Pyrodex on it - that's it. The truck before that had three pounds of H4350 and one pound of IMR 7828, and this has been going on for MONTHS. Same thing with primers and brass - just a half dozen bricks of primers and half a dozen bags of brass each week.

Four-Eyed Buck

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »
I just checked the distributor's site that's very close to me here in Ohio. They seem to have most everything available except Rem. 209's. Of course, that's the ones I'd like to get more of. Earlier this year he was out of some of the Federal primers and had imported some Peruvian made shot..............Buck ::)  8)
I may be slow, but I'm mostly accurate

Willie Wheelgun

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
Well, I went to SW in Federal Way last week and they had no .380 or 9 mm ammo.  My son in the USMC is leaving Monday for a Marine base in California and taking one of my 9mm's and a 380 and I wanted to send him with a stock of ammo.  I loaded up all that I could, about 200 rounds, but SW had none.

I wanted to buy some Titegroup, Clays, and 748.  They had only Clays.  No Remington 7 1/2 primers for my .223  and 204 Ruger prairie dog loads.

They had plenty of lead shot at $40.00/25# bag.

I am not picking on SW, it is just tough.  So many people are stocking up in preperation for the 20th, and I don't blame them.  Those of you that think this is foolish apparently were not around during the Clinton years.  If you were, you were asleep or under the influence!
Warthog

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »
Seems there's been a terrible panic run. Looking at the Powder Valley web, they say they're about 10 days behind on shipping.
 Natchez just sent a sale flier with some pretty good brass prices, and Cabela's seems to think they got enough of it to put on sale.
 Haven't checked all the local slobber shops, but the big Walmart at Scottsbluff had everything but large rifle primers, and the newest shop down in the valley had what looked to be about 8 cartons of each of winchester primer offerings last week. So maybe things will get back to a dull roar pretty quick.
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Fairshake

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »
Obama Scare!! I placed a order with Graf's and Son's on Dec. 18th and received it Jan.6th. Talked to Mike Graf via phone and he said that they were snowed with orders since the election and that the supply line had been gutted from the top on down. It's all panic buying as he said that people were calling and saying: I want to buy everything that I need for reloading. Buying primers and powder in bulk orders. The story goes that one man was seen at the Dallas Gun Show loading a hand truck of powder and primers into a Tahoe with a Obama sticker on the bumper. How's that hit you! As soon as the sky is falling panic buying stops everything will return to normal. Mike Graf said Obama will be so busy working on the economy that he won't have time for any anti gun laws. Lets keep our fingers crossed on that.
Lord of Soot, Sass 81802, NRA, BOLD, Deadwood Marshal, Border Vigilante, Warthog  So That His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Cactus Cris

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
Lou--We got 0 small primers, Federal LP primers, only small amounts of powder.  Not sure when or IF any will be comming in.  Hard to sell re-loading equip when there is no componets available--BUT still do.  Blue is flying out the doors at a record pace. :o
- Darksider/Rabid C&B'r  SASS#2790  31 clean matches & counting

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
Here's an example of the root cause for the shortages:  CUSTOMERS making orders to a friend (LYMAN DISRIBUTOR) who put a $27,000 order into Lyman Products (PRODUCER of if you like MANUFACTURER) and a month and half later ... received a PARTIAL ORDER.

The local reloading suppier I frequent has had everything I've asked for in powder and primers, except Federal 150M's and CCI BR2's that I'm short on for BPCR.  Guess I'm lucky.  My wait time from Lyman, Lee, etc is averaging 2+ weeks.  Stay away from the Midway's unless you want to read too many ... Out of Stock's!  And here's my theory:  when the mad rush by folks stocking up ceases (maybe this Summer) - watch for the BIG SALES from the Distributors

Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Hedley Lamarr

• Territorial Marshal
  • Bama Belle says that I am "Roguishly Handsome"...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »
And here's my theory:  when the mad rush by folks stocking up ceases (maybe this Summer) - watch for the BIG SALES from the Distributors

Ayup. That's what I'm figgurin on too.
Hedley Lamarr

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch." - Lt. Archie Hickox

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »
Even here in Canada, we suffer when the US supply line has problems, maybe even more.  I've been keeping at least 2 cartons of each type in stock ever since the Clinton years.  I still have a lifetime supply of old but useful powder.

malpaismike

• Free Grazer
  • Life is tough; it's tougher if you're stupid.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
CC, wuddya do, take my place at Sportsman's?  I stopped at Tucson store on the way back from Yuma a cuppla weeks ago--coulda shot a cannon and not hurt nuthin but jerky bags.  When I left in June, '07, we'd just expanded archery.  I think they had half a doz arrows and a busted pack of broadheads with the ferrules missing.  Pitiful.  BUT, I also learned they -- SW-- were bought out by an Alberta coop.  My sources say them Canudians are canny folk and would not just bail out ol' Stu wassisname.  Here's hoping.

Well, that said, can anyone direct me to a powder supplier who works like PowderInc--hazmat incl in quoted price?  Skinny pickins in beufful Sierra Vista, reloaderstuffwise, but I'm not hurting yet.  Only downside to my bucolic paradise is the dearth of reloading stuff.

Happy trails.
Malpais Mike
WartHog

Cactus Cris

• Free Grazer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
M. Mike--I be working at the "BLUE" place in retail--PT.
- Darksider/Rabid C&B'r  SASS#2790  31 clean matches & counting

Van Morgan

• Free Grazer
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
Brass, primers and bullets have been in short suplly around here for over a year. The panic buying only made things worse. I hope there is enough around until June!
WartHog
SASS 76068
SBSS 2010
39+ #16
OTBG #48

Utah Bob

• Free Grazer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:28 AM »
I was talking to the guy at the gun counter in Big R the other day. He said they got a shipment of AK in. "You mean AKs "I said.
"Nope AK. We got just one. Lasted almost 3 hours. Slow day"
Proprietor: Lazy Bob Ranch
No Crops, No Cattle, No Problem