Author Topic: Disassembly to clean Taurus Lightning  (Read 2728 times)

Squire Griffin

• Free Grazer
Disassembly to clean Taurus Lightning
« on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
Howdy,
I just picked up a Taurus Lightning for $300. Great deal but it didn't function really well. Took two racks of the slide to chamber a round, wouldn't extract reliably etc. It was really dirty. Bolt face was caked with residue as was the extractor slot. The action was so dirty the follower wouldn't come up half the time. I have cleaned it up so it works OK now but would like to do a thorough job. There is still a lot of dirt in there. Anyone ever took one of these things apart? Looks like a nightmare. Is there another way to clean them? wish there was a removable floor plate.

I think I am going to use some hotter loads to keep gas from blowing back into the action too. But not too hot !400fps max. Using Red dot. Would Trail Boss, Trap 100 or Clays? be cleaner?
Cheers,
Squire Griffin

Squire Griffin

• Free Grazer
Re: Disassembly to clean Taurus Thunderbolt
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
That's a thunderbolt. Lightning is close.
Squire

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Re: Disassembly to clean Taurus Lightning
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Squire, this is about as close as there is ... Uberti Lightning
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=36&cat=Uberti+Lightning2+Rifle

Well, look at what I found ... http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_thunderbolt.pdf
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:55:41 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Squire Griffin

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
Hi John Boy,
I found the manual. It looks like they expect you to degrease the action and then spray some oil on it. Is that what owners are doing?
Cheers,
Squire

Pettifogger

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
Hi John Boy,
I found the manual. It looks like they expect you to degrease the action and then spray some oil on it. Is that what owners are doing?
Cheers,
Squire

Depends on the owner.  I have nine different Lightnings and clones so am familiar with taking them apart.  Others can't figure out how to get them apart or, more importantly, how to get them back together.  They are not complicated, but are tricky to get back together the first few times you try it.  Even after years of using them, sometimes getting the upper and lower receiver back together is a challenge as getting the parts to mate is partly knowledge and partly luck.

It you aren't good mechanically I would use brake cleaner and an air hose to blow it out and then some spray oil.  If you are adept mechanically, here's the basic take down procedure.  Remove the stock, remove the magazine tube, remove the two screws on the lower rear of each side of the receiver.  Put the pump handle in about the half-pumped position.  Start wiggling the upper and lower tangs until the upper and lower receivers start to separate and then wiggle down and forward until the half-moon tabs separate.  (Make sure the elevator is DOWN when separating the upper and lower receiver.)  Then pull the lower receiver clear.  You can then pretty much clean everything with a toothbrush and some cleaner.

You got a good price on the Taurus, but be aware they have a poor reliability record.  Even when clean, if you got one that works count yourself lucky.

Squire Griffin

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »
Hi Pettifogger,
I am mechanically inclined but this sounds a bit tricky. Problem is if I can't for some reason do it I don't know where I could get help. I will use the brake cleaner.

Now that I have someone who knows about these things, can I just remove the stock screw and slide the action out of the stock without anything elase falling apart? That way I could dip the whole thing. Otherwise I would do the air hose thing. Actually I would do that regardless.

One good thing is that the guy I bought this from had one of the bad ones and sent it back. It took 6 months but this is one of the new revised working models when it's clean.

That was a detailed description and I may try it some day. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers, Squire

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:48:22 AM »
Squire, does the serial number on yours start with a 'Y' or a 'Z'?  The Z's were the ones with the revised bolt
Might want to read this ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=1436.0
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Squire Griffin

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
John Boy,
Yes I had read everything I could find on the Taurus including the Open Range. And I have a Z type. It has its downsides but I believe I can deal with them. Just came back from Walmart and picked up som Birchwood Caseys gun scrubber. That should take care of any goo.
Cheers,
Kirt

Hedley Lamarr

• Territorial Marshal
  • Bama Belle says that I am "Roguishly Handsome"...
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »
Yes, you can take the buttstock off without anything else falling apart.
Then it would be easy to dunk the receiver and bolt assembly into a pail of cleaning solution.
Hedley Lamarr

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch." - Lt. Archie Hickox