Author Topic: TTN shotguns  (Read 7844 times)

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
  • B 2/5 1st Cav 1965-1966
TTN shotguns
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
I have read a lot on this and other web sites about the TTN s xs hammered shotgun and I have had a severe craving flung on me to get one. Can any of you good folks tell me who imports this gun or a web site where I may see the particulars of this shotgun?  Also, I am set up for reloading my colts and winchesters with BP but am not sure I would shoot the shotgun enough to invest in reloading equipment for shotgun shells just yet. Not enough dead presidents residing in my wallet as there use to be so would like to know if anyone is selling 12 gauge shotgun shells loaded with black powder.

You guys have always been able to answer my questions before so I know there is someone out there who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Tater Pickens

Pettifogger

• Free Grazer
Re: TTN shotguns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
TTN is apparently pretty much out of the picture.  Cimarron and Taylors both carry the 1878.  Just go to their sites and they have pictures and specifications.  One or two boxes of commercial BP loads will pay for a press.  All you need is an el cheapo Mec Jr. and you can make all the ammo you need.  You can usually pick them up at a gun show for $50 to $75 bucks.  New, they are only a little over $100.00.  The Lee shotshell loader is also very cheap, but I like metal instead of an all plastic press.

D. N.

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
I believe EMF also carries TTN coach guns.  That's where I got mine, and at a heckuva price too.  In fact, I've always found them to be great folks to deal with.  Unfortunately, their website is "under construction" right now, so I can't check.  They do list their phone number and an email address on their home page (which is still up).  You can see it at  http://www.emf-company.com/

Fairshake

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
Tater, The loading of shotshell with BP is very easy and for the most part, done by hand. That's if you roll crimp as I do. The paper hulls can be loaded with the old wads and fillers or the plastic wads. The hulls such as the STS and nitro27 are loaded with the plastic wad. Just make sure you have some Windex with vinegar to clean out the snake skin that is left behind. As was stated before you can go on to flea bay and buy a Mec 600 JR for around the $60-$75 range. The last BP shotshells That I saw for sale were in the $38 a box range. Lead shot has come down from $60 a 25 lb bag to $25. Circle Fly wads is a good source for wads and info. Later David
Lord of Soot, Sass 81802, NRA, BOLD, Deadwood Marshal, Border Vigilante, Warthog  So That His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
Thanks for your input fellas. I have been doing all the reading I can on this and other sites and see there are lots of differing opinions-all of which I am sure are valid. Some advocate using paper hulls instead of plastic 'cause plastic can melt, some say plastic works good for them.  Some say they like the brass casings from Magteck for realism etc.

More questions if you will.

I have some store bought 12 gauge shotgun loads I use for trap and skeet.I can just shoot those up and use the hulls or like someone suggested just go to my shooting club and scoff up on their leavings?
 Were would one find paper hulls? Is that a buy some from somewhere, shoot them up deal, or is someone selling just hulls? As for using the brass. Are those crimped some how or just loaded and secured by some other method than crimping?

I havn't checked with Midway or Buffalo Arms yet but I guess they would be a good source for dies, sheel holders etc would they not?

I use just a single stage RCBS outfit for loading my 44-40's and 45 Colts. Too bad RCBS doesn't have a die set and shell holder for shotguns so I could use my existing equipment. 

I'll check into the MEC unit ya'll told me about but in that I won't be shooting this gun as much as you fellas do that do the cowboy action shooting deal I need to keep my financial outlay as small as possible. In fact, I am going to sell my remington 1100 auto loader that I use to use for skeet and trap to get this 1878 coach gun.

Thanks for all your insight.

Tater

malpaismike

• Free Grazer
  • Life is tough; it's tougher if you're stupid.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
Hello the camp!  For my 2c, forget the paper.  As many know, I strive for authentic in armament, if not dress.  That said, I got paper Fed target hulls from range near Mesa.  They load ok, but don't dump worth a denim.  As for hulls, I am lucky.  Both my Husqvarna and Stevens 311 dumped black Rem field loads with alacrity--until I stoked them with bp.  WinAA and RemSTG are the ticket.  I shot with a fella at the AZ bp champeenships last mo who used Midway's white/clear new hulls to good advantage.  Hope this helps.  mm
Malpais Mike
WartHog

Ailean Mac

• Free Grazer
  • Honor never goes out of style
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »
Just as an FYI...   I was in the Newington (CT) Gun Exchange today and thought I spotted a new TTN coach gun.  But on closer look, it was prettier, made even better, and really was nice!  (The kind that whispers sweet nothings to my VISA card.)  But it was a CZ !!  I didn't know they made them.  Anyway, the cost was about $700 so I put it back on the rack.... but ....  nice.....  want one...... must obey......
 ;D

If you have not looked at them, suggest it is worth a close look.
-Ailean Mac  said that

Lord save us from all those folks who think they know how to save us

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback fellas and yes the CZ sounds nice but I am in somewhat of a financial dilemma at present and the TTN seems to be more in my price range at present and it also has seemed to have gotten a lot of good reviews from the CAS crowd. I am going to have to finance the purchase of the TTN with the sale of my Remington 1100 autoloader. Can't shoot BP in the 1100, woudn't want to and it ain't correct cowboy.

Thanks,
Tater

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
Finally got my Remington 1100 sold to finance the purchase of a TTN 1878 Coach gun. Everyone seems to be out of them . Spoke to Cimaron today and the slow boat from China has finally made it to Caifornia and they hope to have guns in in a couple weeks and off to the dealers that have been on back order waiting for the boat.

I'm going to be shooting BP in mine when I get it but I was wondering if the gun is sturdy enough to handle regular shotgun loads. I know lots of you guys use it for CAS with BP and lots of you roll your own but is this gun stout enough to handle store bought factory ammo or is it basically ok for BP or reloads not as stout as factory. Reason I am asking is I am anxious to shoot it and I have some shells I used in my Rem 1100 for skeet laying about and I thought I might shoot them up to free up some hulls to reload with BP.

Your valuable knowledge and input is always appreciated.

Tater Pickens

D. N.

• Free Grazer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »
I can speak to TTN's 1878 Colt Coach Gun.  It is a modern shotgun in every functional aspect, so it should digest your modern loads and ask for seconds.

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
Thanks Daniel,

I'll just have to wait for the phone call that a gun is available and get it ordered.

Thanks,

Tater

Tater Pickens

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
Talked to Cimarron the other day and the long awaited shipments of Shotguns have finally made landfall in Calif and should be headed to Texas as we speak to be distributed to all the dealers that have been on back order for a long time. I have my name on a waiting list with Phillip and Joel Rezac and am anxiously awaiting their call that the guns have reached them.   Had a thought tho and was wondering if any of you cowpokes had ever used one of the 1878 coachguns with 20" barrell to shoot skeet or trap with. I used to shoot a little skeet with my son with my Remington 1100(which I sold to finance the purchase of the TTN coachgun) and next time my son comes home to visit I would like to go skeet shooting with him and my coachgun, slip a couple BP loads in there and watch his reaction when that puppy goes off. Any of ya'll ever had any success shooting skeet with it or is the barrell too short?

Probably will do it anyway just to see my son's reaction but was just curious.

Tater Pickens

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
Should work on skeet, but crazy-glue your cheek to the stock, or you will overshoot.

Lars

• Free Grazer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »
The one or three of those 1878 copies I handled had very crooked stocks, so much so that I had to raise my head a bit to see any of rib. Presume that those guns shot more or less to POA, especially with cylinder bore barrels. All other coach guns I have handled had very straight stocks, as Sir Charles implies, and shot way high unless cheeked as he suggests.

Lars

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »
Howdy Sawed Off Sportsmen (remember Jack Nicholson's line in Missouri Breaks),

Not surprisingly, I am in complete agreement with Sir Chuck and Lars (I haven't come up with a way to mess with his name, yet). Whenever someone misses, typically over-shoots, an SG target I yell "get you head down" and invariably they hit it on the next shot. When I miss one I know because I have seen a lot of barrels instead of mostly breach and bead.

I have no experience with the TTN guns, but prefer guns stocked like the older guns with a little more drop. I learned to shoot with the gun down shooting sporting clays. My natural tendency is to bring the gun up with my head fairly erect. It took me awhile to get used to "aiming" a shotgun and can say that my wing shooting has suffered for my cowboy shotgunning.

Reverend Chase
"A Great Outfit is Remembered
Long After the Lackluster
Shooting Performance
is Forgotten."

WartHog

Reverend P. Babcock Chase