Author Topic: New Toy - Not CAS, but One of the Best Schuetzen Caliber Rifles ...  (Read 5562 times)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
A belated Christmas Gift, from Me to Me!

This is a used Paul Shuttleworth (CPA Rifles) 32-40 Schuetzen Rifle.  Paul has been in business since 1986 making replicas of the Stevens 44 1/2 rifle.
I have had a desire for a CPA for many years and in addition, one with a 32-40 barrel.  A gentleman from VA posted it on a BPCR forum and it is now mine.
The receiver is stamped 130 and the Douglas barrel (half round and otagon) is stamped 8-16-1993, so I presume it was made by Paul back in his early day's of business... http://www.singleshotrifles.com/  It is 'new in the box' condition except for one small safe ding on the butt stock

OK, why?  The 32-40 was and is one of the best calibers used for 200yd offhand Schuetzen Matches.  I shoot weekly gallery Schuetzen matches from January - March. The Stevens 44 1/2 like all Stevens, one can take the barrel off and put a different caliber barrel on the receiver.  My intention is for another 38-55 and 40-65 barrel.  When I get some more coins, I'm going to also order a Silhouette butt stock for it.  Then I'll have a combination Schuetzen and Silhouette rifle, plus multiple caliber barrels that I can put on the same receiver.

The gentleman also added 2 boxes of accessories in the deal.  When I costed them out, there was over $1000 of 'stuff' if I had to buy them, including a vernier sight and globe foresight, new Hoch mold w/handles, RCBS dies, brass, etc, etc.  I only have to use my own powder!  The rifle came with the Malcolm scope mounts - so maybe a scope will go on it too! ;D

Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Hedley Lamarr

• Territorial Marshal
  • Bama Belle says that I am "Roguishly Handsome"...
Re: New Toy - Not CAS, but One of the Best Schuetzen Caliber Rifles ...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
Hmm, is it a buttstock or a Salmon...

Hedley Lamarr

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch." - Lt. Archie Hickox

Smokin Guns John

• Free Grazer
  • Me 'n' the Missus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:22:44 AM »
John Boy -

Very nice! Green with envy.

How does that "Gallery Schutzen" event work?  Is it indoors?  Just curious.

Smokin Guns John

"Badges? We ain't got no badges.  We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any steenking badges...."

Proud holder of a "Dark Side" sticky

USAF OCT '68 - JUN '78; Darksider, Warthog, SASS, SCORRS, SBSS, NRAL, BPCRS, LASSOOS, .22LR BPCRS

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
How does that "Gallery Schutzen" event work?

John, Schuetzen Gallery Matches can vary:
Indoors only or indoors to outdoors - ours is an inside heated 8 position shooting bay to an outside tank
Distances can vary up to 200yds and all shooting is done offhand or bench - ours is 25 yards offhand.  Next year we are planning a 200yd offhand and bench match in addition to our 'tank' matches
Calibers & rifle type - 22 to 38 calibers, using single shot, falling block actions (no bolt actions allowed) ... separate iron or scope matches.  Currently, I am using a 25-20 and 38-55 vernier sight rifles with downloaded nitro reloads because of the short distance.  The club 'frowns on' shooting black powder inside the building! ;D  I'm also in the process of putting a 1884 JM Ballard #3 (22cal) Gallery Rifle back into shooting condition
Target used and scoring- 25 German Ring Target: center is 25 pts out to the 13 ring.  No score for any shots outside the rings

Course of Fire - anywhere from 40 to 100 rounds, with usually unlimited sighters on a separate target.  Ours is 40 shots, 5 on each of the 8 targets with a 10 minute time limit for each of the 4 sets of targets
 Here's some history of Schuetzen Matches that were very popular in the 1800's up to the early 1900's ... http://schutzen.sdpcrs.com/bobtylershistory.htm  There were several very famous Schuetzen marksmen, Dr Hudson and Harry Pope of note.  There were many Schuetzen Parks across the US.  Walnut Hill in MA and Jersey City in NJ being 2 of the largest.  The matches were family events.  I have read that on a given match day at Jersey City, up to 2000 people were in attendance
Here's the official rules ... http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/rules-match.php
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:01:31 AM by John Boy »
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
There is even a BEER sponsor; - COORS!

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »
Howdy Schuetzeneers,

Some thoughts. Great rifle and great shooting. To Hedley: it's not a salmon, it's a perch belly. Finally, I noticed that the powder shown on the target was Trail Boss. Is that that your favored powder for BP cartridges?

Reverend Chase
"A Great Outfit is Remembered
Long After the Lackluster
Shooting Performance
is Forgotten."

WartHog

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »
Is that that your favored powder for BP cartridges?
Reverend - Favorites:
XMP5744 -  45-70 and 45-75
Unique - 25-20
45-90 - Black powder only
I've tried Trail Boss in the 25-20 and 38-55.  Immediately went back to Unique.  I loaded 50 rounds this week with Trail Boss for the 32-40 after having my arm twisted by a good friend and gun crank.  Otherwise, I would have used Unique
Candidly, I don't shoot much nitro powders at all except in the 25-20
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Bear Buttes McNab

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
Hey there John Boy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:09:54 AM by Bear Buttes McNab »

JD Yellowhammer

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
Nice shootin', both of ya'll.

JB, love that Schuetzen!  Those rifles are true pieces of art.  (I need to buy more lottery tickets...)
Filthy Stinkin' Rich!  Well, two out of three, anyway...

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
McNabb, Pygmy is one fine looking animal.  Calling him that, I hope he pees all over your targets!  ;D
The 32-40 being a new caliber for me, I wasn't aware that 300 yd good groups are doable.  Thanks for cluing me in.
Right now, the rifle is apart and the receiver is going back to CPA for adjustment of the DST in the morning.  When I was taking trigger pull readings, it wouldn't even register a 10th of an ounce.

Now, for yardage capability ... in the deal was a Hoch 322-200gr mold and handles.  Over on the ASSRA site, 40_Rod the editor of the magazine is a big time 32-40 shooter and posted his pet 200gr bullet loading data.  Would you believe a cork wad ( I have sheet cork that I use for the 38-55 and 45-70) placed .200" over the nitro powder and a 1:32 alloy bullet?  So, while the receiver is back at CPA, a good opportunity to cast and load some of these 200gr bullets.  And I won't have a shortage of brass either ... in the deal was 191 empty cases and 172 loaded rounds with 166gr bullets.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:21:43 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Bear Buttes McNab

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
Hey again JB - The big guys name is Cleat, but he's about the size of a small bear.  We are actually talking apple and oranges here.  This being a 113 year old lever gun, as opposed to your single shot.  I'm shooting 170 grain bullets which are just alittle bigger than the original production 165's  This rifle and caliber were new to me this year too, but it's sorting itself out very well.  Once I got the bore de-fouled and a bullet of the correct (read: suitable) diameter, this old gun keeps on amazing me.  I hope yours turns out to shoot as well as this 'ol 1893.  I haven't seen a need for wads.  I'm shooting a 22 BNH gas checked bullet.  John Kort is going to send me some softer ones in the near future to try, as I still get some fouling due to a less than perfect bore.  Good luck with your new rifle.  It's a beauty.  Best regards.  Buttes

Dingelfutz

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:51 AM »
Very nice rifle! You certainly "scored" nicely! :drool:

Suggestion: If you have not already done so, join the American Single Shot Rifle Association. These folks are "far gone" single-shot riflemen who are extremely knowledgeable and are serious about how these old-fashioned rifles shoot as well as about the guns' collector's significances.

FWIW, you may find .38- and 40-calibers a bit "vigorous" for best Schuetzen-style shooting, historical references notwithstanding. If you truly want to go to another caliber, I suggest the 33/47 Pope and Schoyen, which is a 32/40 necked up to about .338". Bullets in this caliber tend to be a bit heavier and buck the wind better than 32/40 bullets do (if only by a little) and the recoil is still very easy to get along with. Reloading dies in this caliber do not have to be a problem because you most likely will not use fixed ammo. Most hard-core Schuetzen rifle shooters load their rifles at the bench and breech-seat their bullets, using the same case thoughout the match...or even throughout most of a year of shooting!