Author Topic: Rossi 92: The COMPLETE - CORRECT Disassembly & Assembly Instructions!  (Read 18684 times)

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Collective wisdom from the cas-l fire.
Written and rounded up by Kid Hawkins & Bull Schmitt

Rossi Model 92 Disassembly With Pictures

Rossi 1892 Schematic

Slicking up the Rossi 92

Some background:  I broke and was replacing the extractor on my 45 Colt Rossi.  Printed out dissambly and assembly instructions that I have in reference on my computer.... including one set of instructions for assemblying the rifle.  Well, I spent close to a HALF day trying to put it back together from these directions ... PULLING MY HAIR OUT!  Back to the computer and found the Assembly Instructions above (completely different from the one I was using)

The rifle is now completely assembled - functions as designed and it took me about a half hour
My additional recommendations:
1. Use Duct Tape to keep the bolt in place
2. Line all the parts up in the bolt holes using a pin punch
3. Be sure to note when removing the bolt pin ... which way the flutes on the pin are!
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Re: Rossi 92: The COMPLETE - CORRECT Disassembly & Assembly Instructions!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
Post Script: Same day.  With the correct diassembly and assembly instructions, I even slicked up the insides of another Rossi 92 Winchester.  Cutting springs, smoothing and deburring and back together again in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.
The directions ... work!
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Mild Bill

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
I have a Puma '92 in .45 Colt. The hammer follows the bolt all too often, when levering it closed. Is this an easy fix?

Thank you,
Mild Bill

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
Bill, your explanation is a tad vague.  Do you mean that your hammer does not stay cocked when you put the bolt into battery (close it)?
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Mild Bill

• Free Grazer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:14:46 AM »
Hi John,

Exactly. The hammer does not stay cocked. It happens frequently, not every time.

Thank you,
M.B.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
Might want to look at the trigger spring
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Fairshake

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »
John Boy If you are using any directions that don't include using a empty case to reassemble your 92 then they are not good directions. The only and fast way to put the bolt carrier back together is when you put a empty case under the extractor so that it stays attached to the bolt face. Steve Young's instructions on his DVD covers this in full.
Lord of Soot, Sass 81802, NRA, BOLD, Deadwood Marshal, Border Vigilante, Warthog  So That His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
Fairshake, I put up the directions with the pictures and these directions don't mention using the empty case.  Pictures 'talk' and text sometimes is harder to follow.
I'm not sure that the directions 'are not good' because of the missing words about using an empty case to hold the ejector in place as a must way of doing it.  Having a taken two '92's apart and assembled them again, several times, I found that it to be more cumbersome guiding the bolt with the case not securely held in place by the ejector.
An alternative is a thin flat piece of metal pressed against the ejector which keeps it in place the full travel along the rails (plus the ejector collar doesn't move off the end of it either) v trying to keep the case firmly attached to the ejector the final couple of inches into battery that wobbles and falls off the ejector and the collar falls off the end also.  Then again, to each his own  ;)
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Fairshake

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
I was in no way putting down on what you my "FRIEND" had posted. I have owned several 92's and it was only after I purchased the DVD put out by Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones that I used the fired case. It helped me a great deal I and was only trying to pass on not overtake.Being a trained armorer by S&W, Ruger,Ithaca, Remington, Sig Sauer and others I fully realize that a cat can be skined many ways. Sometimes the other way could be looked at and found to be of some help. 
Lord of Soot, Sass 81802, NRA, BOLD, Deadwood Marshal, Border Vigilante, Warthog  So That His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
To my friend, David ... Nate is Top Shelf and no slight taken about not using the case.  But, give it a try.  I did and gave up using it.  The issue was the collar kept falling off the extractor and turning side ways.  To make it work, there has to be complete tension the full travel of the bolt
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Flash Powder Hal

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
Great instructions for all Rossi '92 shooters.

Thanks Pards  :hlhat: 
NRA Life Member
Mima Marauders and Black River Regulators
Wed ta' Big Red Penny

wildman1

• Free Grazer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »
I tried using an empty case on reassembly because thats the way the instructions say ta do it. I have big hands and that was not working. I put a thin strip of Duct tape from the bottom of the bolt up across the face onto the top. Worked great, Thanks John Boy. WM
WARTHOG, NMLRA, NRA, BOLD #1056, DIRTY RAT #600, HIRAM'S RANGERS #106, AF&AM   Iffen ya ain't the lead dog, the view is the same.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
Wildman, the empty case trick doesn't work for me either.  Like the duct tape idea. I have been using the 'fumble fingers' approach with the muzzle @ about 80 degrees
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
I just picked up a new Rossi Model 92 in .44 magnum to use for CAS.......This info will come in very handy... Thanks.....;D !
SASS#56937  BOLD#527  WARTHOG  RATS#120  ROWSS#61

epwrangler

• Free Grazer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
I am wondering of anyone can tell me how the ejector, spring and collar can be put  in using the spring from the Gunslinger kit? I finally  gave   up  and  cut  the  original.  I did   use the closed bolt  method of reassembly. It worked great for me. Disassembly and assembly has  been a real education so far. Oh yeah, I have a new stainless 357/38. It feeds 38s great  but  357s, nope not yet.