Author Topic: Disassembly a Winchester Model 1886  (Read 7784 times)

Ronny the Gambler

• Free Grazer
Disassembly a Winchester Model 1886
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:27:26 AM »
Howdy,
I am disassembling an Winchester Model 1886 (manufactured in 1892).The problem now is how to remove the Finger Lever Pin and the Finger Lever Bushing ??? . I have tried different ways but I can't get them out. Hope one of you can help me out with this.
Thanks an regards,
Ronny the Gambler

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
Re: Disassembly a Winchester Model 1886
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
Ronny - look at Step 5 in the Dis-assembly directions.  This is for a Miroku but the '86 replicas are re-engineered based on the originals
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12302
http://aaa-webs.com/aaa/webs/homestead/courses/1886/1886partspics.htm
Looking at the internal parts, they are nearly the same design as the '92 Winchester with the dis-assembly and assembly being kissing cousins.  The only difference being the receiver frame differences

When you are assembling the rifle after putting the bolt in the rails - point the rifle vertical while when sliding the bolt into battery and you'll probably have to fiddle with the ejector to keep the 2 ears in the bolt channels.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.  If the instructions are one the mark, I'll put them up as a Stickie on TOR

And one last word of advice - put all your parts in a magnetic tray ... been there looking for parts on the floor when I didn't use the tray!  Harbor Freight has the magnetic trays at a real cheap price
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

Ronny the Gambler

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Thanks John Boy I give it a go.
I let you know when the the is finished.
Greetings from a cold and windy Holland.

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
Ronny, re-reading your initial post, you mention Finger Lever Bushing.  There is no Lever Bushing. Believe what you meant is the Ejector Collar that goes on the long end of the ejector.

Another item of mention, the breech bolt pin also holds the lever in the bolt.  If there are flutes on one end of pin, the flutes belong on the left side of the receiver - not the side with the Spring Cover Base
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Smokin Guns John

• Free Grazer
  • Me 'n' the Missus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
 :hail: The Open Range never ceases to amaze me.
Smokin Guns John

"Badges? We ain't got no badges.  We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any steenking badges...."

Proud holder of a "Dark Side" sticky

USAF OCT '68 - JUN '78; Darksider, Warthog, SASS, SCORRS, SBSS, NRAL, BPCRS, LASSOOS, .22LR BPCRS

Ronny the Gambler

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
John Boy I visited those websites which you showed us in your message.There is a difference between a Miroku 1886 and a original  Winchester Model1886 which I have.
The Miroku 1886 us having the same finger lever pin and finger lever pin stop screw has the original Winchester model 1892, which are easy to disassemble. By an original Winchester Model 1886 is the lever connected with the locking bolds by an finger lever busing and a finger lever pin.
The finger lever pin is causing the problems with disassembling this rifle this because it looks like it is a screw but it isn't. It is a pin which is split from the front till I think halfway his Length. So the problem is I don't know how to take this pin out. You can see this pin and bushing at the picture shown here.
Kind regards Ronny the Gambler

Smokin Guns John

• Free Grazer
  • Me 'n' the Missus
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
Ronnie -

It is not a screw.  I don't know what it is called.  May I suggest you try pushing it out from the other side with a brass drift pin?  I had the same thing happen to me with a piece of equipment on a tripod just 3 weeks ago.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:43:31 PM by Smokin Guns John »
Smokin Guns John

"Badges? We ain't got no badges.  We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any steenking badges...."

Proud holder of a "Dark Side" sticky

USAF OCT '68 - JUN '78; Darksider, Warthog, SASS, SCORRS, SBSS, NRAL, BPCRS, LASSOOS, .22LR BPCRS

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »
Ronny, picture shows the slotted pin connected to the left locking lug.  The pin has to be also connected through the finger lever to the locking lug on the right side of the rifle.  

And look what I found!  A schematic of an original Winchester 1886 ... http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/win1886.htm
Plus complete disassembly instructions!
You have 2 bushings and a screw going through the finger lever.  Look at parts 54-55-56

And if the screw is tough to loosen, try some 50:50 mix of ATF - automatic transmission fluid and acetone.  Shake it well

I would say ... it's a piece of cake now!

Smokin Guns John ... Wrong Guess!  :surrender"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:04:50 PM by John Boy »
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Ronny the Gambler

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:29:31 AM »
Smoking Guns and John Boy thanks to both of you.
I fixed it now  ;D now some cleaning and assembling.

Thanks regards,
Ron

John Boy

• Territorial Marshal
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:41 AM »
Ronny, happy to hear the rifle is back together.  What I learned is a Miroku was not re-engineered from an original!
Make sure you save and print the original '86 schematic.
Best Regards
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Ronny the Gambler

• Free Grazer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
Sure I do John. I've had already disassembly instructions from the Winchester 1896 catalogue (reprinted version by Cornell Publications, www.cornellpubs.com).But the one I have from you is a bit better.
Kind regards from a windy and rainy Netherland!
Ron