Author Topic: Question . . . Armi San Marco - - Sharps . . . . any good ?  (Read 6663 times)

Question . . . Armi San Marco - - Sharps . . . . any good ?
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Hi pards . . .  :surrender"  . . . just to get your attention . . . .  ;)

I'm offered at a very nice price on a .45-70 Sharps made by ASM . . . .

I am not looking to do super long range target shooting . . . just popping of the occasional buffalo in the back forty for winter meat.   Are Sharps by ASM worth having ?   

My experience with Armi San Marco is limited to the one  pistol by them that I have, . . .  and it is very nice. 

Opinions please. . .

Thanks . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
Re: Question . . . Armi San Marco - - Sharps . . . . any good ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »
The one I have is supposed to be a 45-70, had a severe leading problem , would shoot good until the throat was packed full of lead, found out it would almost chamber a 45-90....
The trigger sear broke, took 2 weeks to get the replacement, and took me over 2 hours of careful fitting to get it to work.
Threads on the trigger plate adjustment screws all stripped out. Now it's favorite trick is when you pull the trigger the hammer may or may not fall, if it stays on full cock....Have to loctite the hammer screw down or it'll fall out after about a dozen rounds.
 The firing pin that came in the gun hung up in the breechblock, and would drag the base of the cases scoring them up (makes it easy to determine which cases were fired in that rifle). Replaced the firing pin and spring with one from a C Sharps, it's better now.
 Other than that she's cherry,  :drool: It's your money spend it the way you want.
Eat more BEEF the west wasn't won on a salad.
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
The one I have is supposed to be a 45-70, had a severe leading problem , would shoot good until the throat was packed full of lead, found out it would almost chamber a 45-90....
The trigger sear broke, took 2 weeks to get the replacement, and took me over 2 hours of careful fitting to get it to work.
Threads on the trigger plate adjustment screws all stripped out. Now it's favorite trick is when you pull the trigger the hammer may or may not fall, if it stays on full cock....Have to loctite the hammer screw down or it'll fall out after about a dozen rounds.
 The firing pin that came in the gun hung up in the breechblock, and would drag the base of the cases scoring them up (makes it easy to determine which cases were fired in that rifle). Replaced the firing pin and spring with one from a C Sharps, it's better now.
 Other than that she's cherry,  :drool: It's your money spend it the way you want.

Ranch 13 . . . Thanks much.  I'll pass up the "good deal" . . . . wait for a deal I like on a Pederosoli that will function . .   :)

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
I would urge you to take a look at buying one of the US built guns, customer service if needed is sure and rapid. Pedersoli, not so much, it'll take weeks to get a part over here, and there's only one authorized smith to do warranty work. There's been a rash of threads of late on various boards about problems with the Pedersoli guns, ranging all the way from the tangs bent to one side so bad that a mechanical zero could not be met with tang and globe sights to chambers full of reamer marks, firing pins to short to fire....
 Shiloh and C Sharps both maintain a list of available rifles, and both companies can deliver you a basic rifle for about the same money as one of the imports.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
I would urge you to take a look at buying one of the US built guns, customer service if needed is sure and rapid. Pedersoli, not so much, it'll take weeks to get a part over here, and there's only one authorized smith to do warranty work. There's been a rash of threads of late on various boards about problems with the Pedersoli guns, ranging all the way from the tangs bent to one side so bad that a mechanical zero could not be met with tang and globe sights to chambers full of reamer marks, firing pins to short to fire....
 Shiloh and C Sharps both maintain a list of available rifles, and both companies can deliver you a basic rifle for about the same money as one of the imports.

Ranch 13, . . thanks for the additional input.   I'm in now hurry.  Will continue to look about and research.   

Good shootin' . . . .   :bye:

Professor Marvel

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
Greetings My Good Wolfgang -

pardon me for chiming in late, you have probably already made your decision.

In General the "quality" Italian companies are usually considered to be Pedersoli, Uberti, and (in pistols), Pietta.

When dealing with "other" Italian companies such as ASM, IAB, Armi Sport, EMF (usually rebranded IAB), PDQ, OMG, etc etc, quality is oft' a matter of pot-luck, luck-of-the-draw, spin-the-wheel...

As our esteemed Ranch13 has related, In General the ASM Sharps, [much like my IAB Sharps Paper Cutter (aka IAB Sharps mod 1863 Percussion Breechloader ) ]
can best be considered a "kit". If one can get obtain the rifle and accessories dirt-cheaply, as I did, and one takes the view that it is going to take some (or considerable) attention, and one is not intending to compete in true Long Range Rifle contests, then one can enjoy the economy.

If you peruse the "cheap sharps club" over on CAS city you will find that there are a number of shooters who are happy campers with their ASM or IAB -
I offer for your entertainment:

8 pages of "IAB Sharps"
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,12993.0.html

10 pages of the Cheap Sharps Club
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21432.0.html

various experiences
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,23733.0.html

regarding tghe accuracy thereof, I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusion....

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Supplying useless advise for All Occasions

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
Something to ponder on that Cheap sharps thread. The guy that started it finally gave up trying to get his cheap sharps to shoot and sold it. :o

Professor Marvel

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
Something to ponder on that Cheap sharps thread. The guy that started it finally gave up trying to get his cheap sharps to shoot and sold it. :o

And there you have it! Perhaps it is like the Red Rock Candy that Lone Watie (played by Chief Dan George ) had:
"It's not fer eatin' .....  It's fer .....   lookin' thru"

Perhaps Some folks want one fer lookin' at...

I regard my paper cutter as another "project".  A friend who can shoot better than I was able to keep my IAB .54  on "minute of paint can" from a bench at ~ 300 yards.

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Supplying useless advise for All Occasions

Ranch 13

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
They'll all shoot good, but some take more tinkering than others, and some fall apart before that deadnuts load is found. I'm really saddened that the lock etc on my CIJ (cheap Italian junker) is so undependable, as the thing will shoot with the best of them when it's all it's parts are working at the same time. :hlhat: