Author Topic: Sources for Polishing Media and Burnishing Solution  (Read 5841 times)

John Boy

• Free Grazer
Sources for Polishing Media and Burnishing Solution
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
Kramer Precision Polishing Media ...  http://www.kramerdepot.com/TBM/PC.html
Strat -O-Sheen ... http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175?pos=1

I have been using the Kramer K-Polish 2mm media and Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution for years with a squirt of Dawn.  Your black powder and smokeless brass too can look like these:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:05:07 AM by John Boy »
Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

John Boy

• Free Grazer
Re: Sources for Polishing Media and Burnishing Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:12:47 AM »
  How to Fill A Rotary Tumbler
Once you have a clean barrel add enough brass to fill the barrel about 1/2 to 2/3 full. (If you add more or less the cases will not tumble properly.) If you donít have enough cases to fill the barrel at least 1/2 full you can add enough ceramic media to bring the barrel up to a proper operating level. Finally, add enough burnishing solution to fill the barrel to just below the top of the cases.

Don't Have a Rotary Tumbler & Want to Buy One?

Lortone ... http://www.lortone.com/tumblers.html
Has baffles inside the barrels - Harbor Freight doesn't)
Harbor Freight ... http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:16:25 AM by John Boy »
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Thuer breath

• Free Grazer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
Howdy John..can the burnishing solution be re-used?

John Boy

• Free Grazer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
Thuer, the Strat-O-Sheen comes as a concentrated powder: 30z 2oz of concentrate to a gallon of water.  In a 5# box there is enough powder to make MANY gallons of the solution ... 40 gallons!

Might add:  I change the solution in the rotary after every cleaning.  Why?  Continued use of the solution, especially BP cases with potassium sulfide in the foul ... your brass will be stained a pretty shade of gray!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:13:56 AM by John Boy »
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

The Coconino Pistolero

• Free Grazer
  • Grits, its whats fer grub - not fer filler.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
couple of comments about shiny cases.
I like them but they can cause problems.  It appears that a little dirt acts as a lubricant when using Dillon powder dies.  Otherwise I have seen brass streaks accumulating on the expanding/belling dies even when belling well used .45 Colt and .45 ACP cases.  I back off cleaning now so there just a little tarnish/stain inside the case.  The case is still really clean though.

A little Lemishine and Dawn is what I use with ceramic media or stainless steel pins.  Not my recipe just passing it along.
Stirrin' the pot a mite.

Rancho Roy

• Free Grazer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:57 AM »
When I use SS pins with distilled water (from my dehumidifier) and a little squirt of Dawn in a "Tumblers Tmbler" my brass comes out with a light brown tarnish. I then dry it and tumble in my vibrating cleaner wit corncob and a touch of "Brasso"

Brass comes out like new. But I wish it came out of the SS media without the tarnish.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  (I can't find "Lemishine" anywhere around here)

John Boy

• Free Grazer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Roy, too many unnecessary steps.  Instead try this:
* Strato-O-Sheen burnishing solution with the pins.  Be sure to deprime cases before soaking in hot water and then putting them in the tumbler
* Remove the bright shiny cases from the tumbler
* Dry doing this method ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7653
* DONE! ;)
Regards
John
Devote Convert to BPCR

Rancho Roy

• Free Grazer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
Thanks...I'll give it a try!

wildman1

• Free Grazer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
Walmart has Lemishine. WM
WARTHOG, NMLRA, NRA, BOLD #1056, DIRTY RAT #600, HIRAM'S RANGERS #106, AF&AM   Iffen ya ain't the lead dog, the view is the same.